Can I claim GST on an engagement ring if traveling overseas?

Can I claim GST on an engagement ring if traveling overseas?

In short, no. You can’t claim GST back when purchasing an engagement ring before travelling overseas. 

Travellers departing Australia may be eligible to receive a GST refund under the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS), administered by the Department of Home Affairs and its operational arm the Australian Border Force (ABF). 

Essentially, this scheme was designed for international travellers or Australian residents that are moving overseas. If an international traveller visited Australia and purchased one of our engagement rings and returned back overseas, yes they would be able to claim GST on their engagement ring.

If an Australian customer purchased one of our engagement rings, customers can claim GST on their engagement ring when leaving the country. When returning to Australia, customers have to pay GST back on the engagement ring. 

What does that mean? 

A traveller may claim a refund under the TRS if the purchases meet the following requirements: 

  • The purchases are from a single business with the same Australian business number (ABN) and total AUD$300 (GST inclusive) or more. For example, if you bought items from one business, even on separate invoices, that together total AUD$300 the goods were purchased within 60 days of departure from Australia. 
  • Buy the goods within 60 days of departure. 
  • The traveller has original tax invoice/s for the goods. 
  • The travelling passenger paid for the goods. 
  • Carry or wear the goods on board the aircraft or ship as cabin baggage unless they are oversized or subject to aviation security measures and the airline requires them to be checked in as hold luggage. 
  • Have a valid paper tax invoice outlining the following: 
  • In English with your name (and only your name as it appears in your passport if the invoice is $1,000 or more); 
  • A description of the goods that allow the TRS facility to match the goods to the invoice; 
  • The retailers’ name, address and ABN; 
  • The amount of GST paid (or total price including GST); and 
  • The date of purchase. 
  • Present their tax invoices, goods, passport and boarding pass to the TRS facility when departing Australia. 
  • Make the claim at the TRS facility at an airport at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time or 60 minutes if travelling on a cruise. 
  • Please refer to the Australian Border Force website for more information on TRS requirements.

Travellers bringing goods back into Australia for which they have already claimed a TRS refund 

You must declare any goods you bring back to Australia, for which a TRS claim was made by you or another person when the goods left Australia. You can do this by declaring the goods at question 3 on your incoming passenger card when you return to Australia. Unless another concession applies, for example concessions on personal clothing (excluding furs), you may need to pay GST on goods you bring back into Australia. This happens when the value of those goods, combined with any other goods you import for which another concession doesn’t apply, exceeds the passenger concession allowance. (link) Penalties may apply if you fail to declare these items.

Can Kate & Kole change my invoice/receipt date to be within 60 days of my departure date? 

Unfortunately, due to our strict Australian Taxation office (ATO) compliance reporting requirements, we cannot adjust or alter your invoice once the deposit has been paid.

What if I just get a refund and re-purchase my piece? 

Your refund will be subject to a re-stocking fee. If it is a Bespoke order the restocking fee is $1,000.00 - these fees are outlined in our terms and conditions and comply with Australian Consumer Law.